I'm pretty sure that no one that reads my blog knows the details of how I met Tyson (outside of my family). And if you do... then just skip this post. Mmmkay?
In November 2003 I was dating this guy. Let's name him "Walter". Walter worked at a gaming store near the dry cleaners where I had gotten a job the month before. One Friday, after finishing my shift, I stopped by Walter's store to chat until he got off work and we could spend our night eating Little Caesar's pizza and watching Heavyweights. It happened a lot.
Anyway, as I'm there in the store waiting for W, I was talking to one of the other guys about how I disliked my job at the dry cleaners and he proceeded to tell me that on the upcoming Tuesday his other job, Discover Card, was having a job fair and that I should go and apply. I had that Tuesday off from work, so I decided that I would. I went, along with at least 400 other people (there were so many people!) and stood in lines and interviewed and filled out papers and waited in smaller rooms to interview again. As I was in one of these smaller areas, waiting to interview, I was standing next to a door of a room that had a few people sitting at a table together - also waiting. I noticed one of the guys sitting at the table, and he noticed me. I got a smile from him and thought to myself, "He's pretty cute! And he looks like a soccer player with that Adidas jacket." I stole a few more looks at the cute guy and then my name was called and I was offered a job. Training started the following Monday. Sweet.
Monday evening came and I was grouped into a very small training class. Most of the training classes had 30-40 people in them. Mine had 7. And as I look around - there's cute soccer player! Score! We all introduce ourselves and I learn that his name is Tyson. We listen to some tapes of calls (because it was the Discover Card call center) and that was the day.
Tuesday: we move into a different room with computers and I sit 2 chairs away from Tyson. There's another guy sitting in between Tyson and I, and soon the three of us are whispering and laughing when we are supposed to be listening.
Wednesday: during one presentation that I should have been listening to, I turned around to smile at Tyson and I wink at him (yes, I am still currently dating Walter - but good heavens! Tyson is too cute!). He smiles and looks away, but then realizes that I've winked at him and quickly turns back to me to return the wink. Smooth.
Thursday: we are grouped into small groups and are listening to live calls with people. Tyson and I get grouped together and sit next to each other and I end up making a complete fool of myself flirting with him, when I was supposed to be listening to what was being said. Also, I touched his leg.
Friday: I mention to Tyson how this job wasn't what I thought it was going to be, and I think I might hate it. At the end of the night, Tyson asks me to walk to his car with him (to get away from the other guys, since we all walked to our cars together each night). We get to his car, and he blushes as he askes me out to the BYU vs. Utah game the following day. I say yes, that I would love to, and he gives me a huge smile and then askes for my number. I don't even remember about Walter until he calls me 20 minutes later to see if I would be coming over. Oops. That wasn't a very fun conversation when I told him that I had agreed to go on a date with another guy the next day.
Saturday: it had snowed during the night and it was absolutely fridged! Tyson called and I said that I would meet him at my high school and then he could follow me to my house. I remember spinning doughnuts in the parking lot of RHS in my 1986 BMW waiting for him to get there. I loved that car. We get to my house and I introduce him to my mom and she asks him where he lives and they learn that they both went to the same elementary school out in Hunter. Small world. She asks about his mission (Tyson served in Sydney, Australia) and then we head to Provo for the game. It was freezing. We were underdressed. We lasted until halftime and then got the heck out of there. We went to Krispy Kreme and got some doughnuts and chocolate milk and then went back to my house and watched a movie. (We held hands during the football game under the blankets - with gloves on - and then held hands again under the pillows while watching the movie.) Tyson got a hug, and then went home. It was maybe 6pm. I called Walter. Walter decided that since someone else had taken me on a date, then he should too. He took me to my favorite restaurant: The Spaghetti Factory. This was our first REAL date. And we'd been dating since the beginning of August. He was sort of a tool.
Monday morning came around and I had the flu. I couldn't go to work to see Tyson and I was bummed about that. But Tyson called me around 10:30am and we talked for a couple of HOURS. It was awesome. He went to Discover that evening and quit because he had gotten another job with UPS. The next morning I was still sick (and I quit Discover) and he called again. This happened a lot. I would talk to Tyson almost every day, and yes, I was still dating Walter. Tyson became a very good and trusted friend. I really liked him. We kept talking until Christmas. We had done a few things together in that month. Nothing really big, just watching some movies together at my house. Before Christmas we talked on the phone and then planned to do something the Saturday after. Tyson said, "I'll call you." He didn't call. I didn't call him. I kept dating Walter until March. When did I next talk to Tyson? To be continued at a later date...
*There are no hard feelings between me and "Walter". He's happily married and has a little boy. We're even Facebook friends!
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
oh the suspense is killing me!!! Its like reading a book and the chapter ending or worse my 30 mintues on my workout machine is over and I know I have to wait until the next day to read it!!!
This is a cute story. I can't wait to read the rest! And I wonder what Tyson thought when you told him you were dating another boy while flirting with Tyson...
Oh, I love me a good romance.
You are so mean to make me wait.
Really you don't finish the story. We know the beginning and end, but the middle is always the best part of the story. So do share soon! This also made me think of the first time I met you, it's great.
Im so hooked and can't wait for the ending. haha. I've never known the story...sound fun though!
Post a Comment